Victoria School Chinese Orchestra (VSCO), established in 1974, saw its humble beginnings as a CCA with merely 20 enrolled members who were self-taught. However, this was only temporary as the orchestra witnessed an increase in population in the 1980s and 1990s, allowing us to engage in festive events such as Mid-Autumn and Chinese New Year concerts and Speech Day performances.
Through the rich experiences accumulated, we clinched the Gold Award in the biennial Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) in 1997, and 5 consecutive Gold Awards from 2003 to 2011. In 2013 and 2015, we achieved the Certificate of Distinction in SYF.
Today, VSCO is a far cry from its pioneer batch. We have about 70 dedicated members in the CCA. In addition, our alumni also frequently return to assist in various events.
Through the guidance of our instructors and conductor from the Singapore Chinese Orchestra, VSCO hopes to sustain the flame of its progress and leave behind a legacy as we continue to nurture the performing arts culture in Victoria School.
The CCA will enable our students to:
- Cultivate their appreciation and passion in modern Chinese Orchestra music
- Cultivate their musical skills in performing a wide variety of Chinese Orchestra music genres
- Develop their leadership skills, social and emotional competencies and 21st Century Competencies.
- Have the opportunity to perform within and out of school.
- Foster team bonding with other members and develop a sense of belonging to VSCO.
Monday: 3.30 to 6.30pm (CO Rm)
Tuesday: 4.30 to 6.30pm (CO Rm)
Friday: 2.30 to 5.30pm (CO Rm)